The older I get, the more I realize I have no idea what I am talking about. Waiiiiiit, what?

Sunday, April 17, 2011

This is it

This has been a sad week. On Wednesday, my sister Juli's good friend Becky lost her life in a house fire. Her mother also died, possibly trying to save her daughter. I can't stop thinking about it, about how tragic it is, how her family must be feeling, how much her friends will miss her. She came with my sisters and I to a concert 2 years ago, it was a really fun time. And I remember during the show, she ran into members of her college sorority and they were so geniunely happy to see her. And this leads me to think of how sad they must be now, as I know Juli is to have lost her. You don't expect these things to happen. Just like we did not expect to lose Ellie six months ago. Those two things are things you think about and think "God, I don't know what I would do...", meaning I don't know how I would cope with something like that. And some people don't, and it is understandable. Those are two heart wrenching, life changing types of losses. But some people do. One step at a time, one moment at a time. It is easy to forget, in the business of daily life, where you plan and schedule, that that thing you are looking forward to 2 months from now might not happen and that you should remember to cherish the simple moment right in front of you. This moment is really all we've got, and we better make the best of it. I know, I'm like a modern day Confucius over here, but this is where I'm at. I used to be all planning and big goals, but now I'm more of a "let's try and head in this general direction while remembering to stop and smell the roses". Some may say that is bad, but after this year, I don't know how I would end up feeling any other way.

That's all for now, check back later in the week for more philosophical gems:)

No comments:

Post a Comment